The Stone City

Words Made to Last

Friday, September 15, 2006

Spiked

Since the Good Little Capitalists have long since fatally mislaid my copy of The October Country, I was momentarily pleased to discover the new collection Bradbury Stories, containing "100 of his most celebrated tales."

Then, through the enlightened self-interest of Amazon.com, I viewed the table of contents. Amazingly, not just a few but all of what I would consider Bradbury's truly great stories have been omitted. "The Long Rain" is not there; nor "The Small Assassin" or "The Jar" or "Touched with Fire"; nor even the more famous "The Veldt" and "There Will Come Soft Rains". It was as if a malicious anthologist had deliberately cut them from an otherwise comprehensive collection.

I searched for the perpetrator, of course -- such a failure should be traced to its source. On the inside dust jacket, I found that
The one hundred stories in this volume were chosen by Bradbury himself...